Hervey Bay Historical
Village & Museum

Major Buildings

Click on the underlined text to go to a detailed description.

1. Old Church 2. Ambulance Room 3. Harness Room 4. Acutt Cottage
5. Vestry 6. Scout Den 7. Goodwood Station 8. Sugar Machinery
9. Carriage Shed 10. Change Shed 11. Methodist Church 12. Smithy / Machinery
13. Dairy 14. Local Products Shed 15. Wishing Well 16. Slab Cottage
17.Time Capsule 18. Dundowran State School 19. Fighting Whiting 20. Trotman's Anchor

Return to Home Page

Memorial Gates.
These Memorial Gates and Archway were donated to the Hervey Bay Historical Museum
by the family of an early pioneering couple, Godfrey Martinus and Maggie Isobel Pedersen,
in time for the official opening of the Museum on 16th March 1974.
They were constructed in Maryborough, at a cost of $1400 approx, and were erected by
Jeff Neisler, Scarness.
The Pedersens moved from Wooroolin in 1936 to Gossner St, Scarness. They had 7 boys and 1 girl.

1. Old Church
Top of Page
The Museum started in this building in 1974. It houses photographs of early Danish settlers, a large
collection of household implements used by the early settlers before electricity and also furniture and
information from the "MAHENO", wrecked off Fraser Island in 1936.
It was originally built by Mr Jas. McPherson on Torquay terrace in the late 1800's.
It was later moved to Torquay Rd. opposite Melory Place and occupied by Doss's Plumbing Service.
In 1917 Mr Frank Whittaker, a relative of Doss, heard that the building was to be sold and proposed to
the residents of Dundowran that they purchase it for a Public Hall.
Land was donated by the Bagnall family and it became the focal point for district entertainment.
A larger hall was built in 1933 and the old hall was used as a non denominational church and Sunday School.
In January 1972, cyclone Dinah damaged the building and it was decided by the Dundowran Hall
Committee to donate it to the Historical Society.

2. Ambulance Room
Top of Page
This was the first ambulance building in Hervey bay. It was built in 1947 at the corner of
Esplanade and Zephyr St.
It was moved to the Museum in 1975 and houses early ambulance equipment and a large
display of tools made by the Bromiley family at Dundowran in their blacksmiths shed.
There are also samples, photo's and information about the award winning coffee which
they grew at Dundowran.

3. Harness Room
Top of Page
Houses numerous items of harness and tack and also a fully restored Angus early horse
drawn buggy, built in 1879.
Hand operated wood lathe, pedal driven.

4. Acutt Cottage
Top of Page
A 1920's cottage owned by Dr Acutt and sold for $200 when he purchased land in
Torquay Rd. for a Medical Centre.
The wood burning stove, ice chest, bedroom furniture and clothes are in keeping with that era.
Ice chests were used in areas where there was no electricity to keep food cool.
An ice cart delivered the ice from a nearby factory.
The telephone on the wall was worked through an operator on a Telephone Exchange.
It can now be used to call someone in the red telephone box opposite the dairy.

5. Vestry
Top of Page
When the original church (No. 11) became too small for the growing population, the Vestry
was built on to the end.
At the time of relocation of the church to the Museum grounds, it was erected as a separate
building.
It houses a large shell collection and also a Maritme display including Maheno artifacts and
a model of the original Urangan pier.

6. Scout Den
Top of Page
This building was moved from the Maryborough Aerodrome to The Pines and was used by the Army
during the war(1939 - 1945).
Later it was moved to Andrew St. Pialba, and used as the Pialba Scout Den.
When they upgraded, it was moved to it's present location and contains an assortment of well
maintained musical instruments in one half, and a collection of sewing machines in the other.
Make sure you press the buttons on the Stereogram facing the door.
Choose to hear music, sounds and broadcasts from the 1800's to the 1950's

7. Goodwood Station
Top of Page
Bought (by tender) from Q.R. in 1988.
Restoration began in late 1990, after lengthy negotiations with the Council to lease more land.
Consists of ladies waiting room and toilet, public waiting rooms and Station Masters Office.
In the office are photos and equipment used in the early days of steam trains.
The signal came from the Takura siding, probably an original when the line was extended from
Maryborough to Pialba in 1897
The Station was also used as a Post Office

8. Sugar Machinery
Top of Page
This large open shed contains numerous items of machinery and equipment used in the
production and harvesting of sugar cane in the last century.

9. Carriage Shed
Top of Page
Here you will find numerous early horse drawn carriages, mostly restored.
An early milk cart (The Fastest in Hervey Bay) and a horse drawn hearse are among the exhibits.
Harnesses and cut out horses are fitted to all carriages.
Audio background of horse and carriage sounds.

10. Change Shed
Top of Page
In the days when bathers were prevented by council bye-law from walking on beachside roads in
bathing attire, "bath houses" were built by Hervey Bay residents in which to change.
They might , in retrospect, be regarded as a status symbol prior to the advent of the motor car.
Some of them still stand, though they are rarely used.
It is estimated that there are three near Pt. Vernon, two at Pialba and two more between
Scarness and Urangan. Erected with the permission of the Department of Public Lands, an annual
licence fee was paid by the owners. They were also used for changing rooms during swimming
and picnic parties.
The construction of public shelters and shower rooms ended the need for the "bath houses" and
several years ago, a council decision was made that no more could be built and that existing ones
 had to be removed. That decision was not fully enforced and several of them still stand on the foreshores
between Urangan and Pt. Vernon.

11. Methodist Church

Top of Page
Built for the Methodist residents in 1909/10 in Main St. Pialba (where Coles now stands).
Donated to the Historical Society in 1987, where it was re dedicated and is now a
non- denominational church. It is available for weddings and funerals by arrangement.

12. Smithy / Machinery / Corn Shelling
Top of Page
This shed houses a fully working Blacksmiths shop complete with forge.
The double acting leather bellows dates back to the 1890's and has been recently restored.
Numerous items of machinery, mostly agricultural, are also under cover here.
An unusual item is a petrol engine driven washing machine.
A fully restored, operating International Harvester 3HP Stationary engine is on view in
the Corn Demonstration area. Demo's Sundays 2pm.
This engine has been restored by Volunteer helpers in the Museum. It was originally started on
petrol and then switched over to kerosene when hot.
The treadle operated wood lathe is also in this area with demo's on Sundays, 1pm 'til 3pm.

13. Dairy
Top of Page
Originally owned by Mr Christiansen on his 160 acre farm opposite where Main St. meets Booral Rd.
Built in 1898, it contains numerous implements used in the early days of dairying.

14. Local Products Shed
Top of Page
Various items related to local products including bottling machines and a wire mattress weaving machine

15. Wishing Well

Top of Page
Make a Wish!

16. Slab Cottage
Top of Page
Originally built for the Rackeman family in 1898 at Home Creek via Tingoora, near Kingaroy.
Relocated to the Museum grounds in 1980 by Museum members.
The furniture of that era was very sparse but practical.

17. Time Capsule
Top of Page
Erected 1988. Bi-Centenary project

18. Dundowran State School
Top of Page
In the early days of settlement in Hervey bay, the only children receiving education were the
families of the wealthy who were able to reach a private school run in Watson St. Pialba.
In 1890, the parents of the small farming community at Dundowran decided they needed their own school.
On May 10th 1891, the first committee was elected for the establishment of a school.
On August 15th 1891 the school was completed on five acres of land on Red Rd.
Water supply was a rain water tank.
A book is available at the Museum detailing the early history of the school.
In August 2004 the school was donated to the Museum and re- erected on stumps near the
Goodwood Railway Station.
SkillCentred workers,(Work for the Dole) supervised by Dennis Ross-Jones have done all
of the major restoration, while volunteers from the Museum have done much of the interior work.
The majority of the timber is original. It is now fully laid out as original .
 

19. Fighting Whiting
Top of Page
This was donated to the residents of Hervey bay in December 1974, in the days when it was known as
"The Town of the Fighting Whiting"
In 2001 , with the help of the Council, it was restored and is now looked after by the Historical Society.
Kelly's of Urangan re fibre glassed it and it was painted by Trevor Spohr and Tom Delaney
 

20. Trotman's Anchor
Top of Page
Hervey Bay City Council subsidised the raising of the anchor from the ancient barque "Panama"
 

Return to Home Page