Village & Museum
The Hervey Bay Historical Museum opened in 1974 with one
which was the first Public Hall at Dundowran and donated by the residents there.
Money was scarce, so volunteers made jams, pickles and sweets to sell at the Museum
and markets. Joan and Norm Christiansen also wrote a small book, “THE LAMP STILL BURNS”,
about the very early settlers to 1890.
Thanks to the volunteers’ hard work and
dedication, by 1990, the Museum had increased to
13 buildings, filled with over 3000 fascinating exhibits from the early years in the Wide Bay area.
Iris Beckman is the only original volunteer remaining here. (See first photograph)
There are now 18 buildings, 8000 exhibits and a group of dedicated volunteers, busily repairing
the old buildings that were falling into disrepair and restoring buildings acquired in recent years.
In 1985 the Museum won a State Government award for its contribution to the local community.
In 2006 , 2007 and 2008 we won the Fraser Coast & South Burnett Tourism Award for the
Heritage & Cultural Tourism Category and in 2009 we were inducted into the Hall of Fame.
In Dec. 2007 the Historical Village held a charity event "Carols in the Village" and the
proceeds went to the Salvation Army Xmas Hamper Appeal. $ Over $1660 was raised .
2008 saw us repeat the event, this time in aid of the local Riding for the Disabled group, this time raising $2000.
2009 was even better with $2600 being raised again for the RDA.
Children from the Wide Bay area visit as part of their school curriculum.
We currently have over 8000 exhibits, ranging from the 1800's to the present day.
The Museum is manned and maintained by a dedicated band of
Each year they all get together for an annual picnic in the Museum grounds.
The Museum is situated at 13 Zephyr
Street, Scarness and is open every Friday and Saturday
from 1.00pm - 4.30pm , Sundays from 10.30am 'til 4.30pm and every afternoon over holiday periods.
Admission is $7.00 for Adults, $2.00 for Students and $1.00 for Primary students, making it an inexpensive
place to bring family or visitors.
The Museum can be opened any time for
groups and schools.
A new BBQ area is available to visitors/Groups at no extra cost.
Two ParkSafe electric BBQ's have been installed as well as a hot water dispenser.
Picnic tables are now available in the shady Memorial Garden area
The Church, non-denominational, is available for weddings.
For information phone 4128 4804 or 4124 4791
Return to Home Page